Martha Stewart Collection Martha’s Spring Garden
Whether they’re potting their first plant or maintaining acres of landscaped gardens, Martha offers consumers her finest techniques to help create the garden of their dreams. Learn the basics of garden design, planting from seed, and preparing potting mix at home. Follow Martha indoors and learn how to cook fabulous dishes using ingredients fresh from the garden. And watch as Martha demonstrates her best tips and techniques for maintaining the garden and its tools. It’s an indispensable collection of valuable pointers organized on two easy-to-navigate discs that will be useful all year long.
Martha gives us a 2-disc set along with printable instructions for those who like having something in hand to guide us along as we wake up our gardens. The are as such:
– PLANTING: dividing hellebores/ early spring fertilizers/planting primroses, lilies, clematis, sweetpeas/ etc.
– ANNUALS: self-sowing annuals/ early season weeding/ etc.
– SEEDS: seed-starting tips/ seed test/ seed compost/ etc.
– VEGETABLES: staking peas/ sowing leeks/ edible peas/ etc.
– COOKING FROM THE GARDEN: Fontina and asparagus bruschetta/ spring garden cake/ rhubarb crisp/ etc.
– TOOLS: pruning tools/ 5 essential garden tools/ lopper 101/ etc
– GARDEN TOURS: Gerbera daisies/ Hellebores/ Brooklyn Botanic Garden/ Keukenhof bulb garden/ diversity of orchids/ Japanese stroll garden
– POTTING: potting mix glossary/ potting dahlia’s/ succulent pots/ repotting plants/ etc
– INDOOR GARDENING: houseplant tune-up/ terrariums/ fragrant houseplants/ indoor parterre/ etc
– GARDEN MAINTENANCE: spring garden clean-up/ lawn garden clean-up/ garden tool care/ etc
– SPECIAL FEATURES: garden design 101/ Skylands tour/ 14 tips and techniques/ printable instructions/ etc
The segments are from her former TV show several years back to more recent years. As usual, the film transfer to DVD is superb and the colors are so vivid that you want to run right out and start working. In the segments for “Arranging”, the opening for “seasonal alliums” is just exquisite with deep and lighter shades of purple so perfect, crisp, and clear, that it made me put this flower on my top ten list for this years planting. Some of the segments are rather short (as in the “early spring fertilizer” but others are wonderfully extended enough to teach you what you need to know.